The Purple Pipe Company LLC is looking for enthusiastic, hard-workers interested in joining an environmentally friendly startup in Palo Alto! The Purple Pipe Water Services was started in 2015 in Palo Alto, California to find creative ways of delivering reclaimed water to schools, homes, and businesses and to promote the use of it for landscaping and irrigation purposes. Our company's goal is to provide consumers an option to irrigate with recycled water as the state of California’s recycled water supply line infrastructure is built out.
TITLE: Water-Truck Driver
Purple Pipe Water Services is looking for exceptional full and part-time “drivers” to come join our team. A “driver” is responsible for filling a 2000+ gallon water truck at a recycled water plant or groundwater site (overhead and hose fill) and driving the truck from site to site along a pre-determined route. “The driver” will help the “irrigation expert” set up equipment (in general, hoses) and irrigate customer properties. Hours are seasonal with heavier scheduling, including chance for overtime (40 – 60 hours/week), in the dry months (May – November) and lighter scheduling (0 – 40 hours/week) in the rainy season (December – April). Part-time hourly (seasonal) and year-round salaried positions are available.
Duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Drive a 2000+ gallon water truck from job site to job site on a pre-determined route*
- Utilize the water truck’s “PTO” (power-turn-on) water pump and manage it efficiently*
- Be able to set up and break down equipment (50+ pounds if need be) upon arriving and leaving a job sites over the course of a day*
- Be able to roll out and roll up a 100’ fire hose in a reasonable amount of time if need be*
- Be able to hold and direct a fire hose capable of 80+ gallons per minute*
- Water landscapes taking precautions to follow the customers directions*
- Follow company instructions and job site notes to irrigate more efficiently*
- Basic communication with the customers regarding their irrigation needs and any special requests*
- Communicate with management regarding updating customer account info and daily route status*
- Be able to navigate a pre-determined route*
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2+ years professional driving experience
- A solid driving record
- Basic knowledge of common garden plant care
- A passion for water conservation and environmental awareness
- Communication skills
Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts and outdoor weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Commercial truck driver’s license (CDL)
- Knowledge of plumbing or sprinkler installation/re-timing
- Mechanics experience of knowledge of truck mechanics
- Local knowledge of area roads